Welcome! This Cook is Cooking!

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.

In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

~ Julia Child


Friday, December 24, 2010

Blog CPR


So this little blog is fading away!  It is neglected and needs much CPR and TLC!  It was once a passion and now has fallen victim to time wasters such as farmville, cityvilel and other useless distractions of facebook games!  The author has become a couch potato and lost care for her once held passion!

Time to rekindle the passion that once was BS Cooks!  (hows that for melodramatic post beginning)

It's the holiday season and well, time to make cookies!  No calorie counting just pure decadence, yummy chocolate passion!  That's what holiday baking is all about!  Comfort and delight for the taste buds!  This little cookie will do it for all the chocolate lovers in your life!  They are amazing and easy!  Who needs sex when there is chocolate! (okay maybe I should rethink that statement lol)

I wanted to make a new cookie, one that I had never made before! So I opened my Betty Crocker Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today (Betty Crocker Books) and found page 186.

Mocha Cookies

Cookies: 
1 Large egg
2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals (I used 1 tablespoon espresso powder)
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened butter (it's better with butter. stay away from plastic margarine at all costs)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (again go for the best here always use unbleached)
1/2 cup backing cocoa (dutch process is best)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use kosher or sea salt)

In a medium bowl, beat eggs and espresso power with an electric mixer until powder dissolves.
Add sugar and butter and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. (don't skimp here really let it get fluffy) Stir in remaining cookie ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate for an hour.

Heat oven to 375 
Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8th inch thick.

Cut cookies with a 2 1/2 inch or 2 1/8 inch round cookie cutter


Place cookies about 1 inch apart on an ungreased  cookie sheet
Bake for 7 minutes or until set
Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute then transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and cool for 30 minutes.

Carmel Drizzle

1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup caramel topping (I used a bit more)
1/2 teaspoon vanalla
About 2 teaspoons of milk

mix caramel and sugar in a small bowl until crumbly add vanilla. Add enough milk until smooth and thin enough to drizzle over cookies.  
Drizzle over cookies and let set before plating.

Then Get your Chocolate on!  (YUM!)








3 comments:

  1. I hope the CPR works, I want more of those incredible cookies and treats from you!!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would die for one of those treats...they look so intense and chocolately (which I realize isn't a word...but it still works :-) I wish you the best luck with your blog. I need to do some more with mine too! Thank you for sharing this with me. I hope you have a lovely week. I wish you and your family the happiest New Year!

    ReplyDelete