Welcome! This Cook is Cooking!

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.

In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

~ Julia Child


Sunday, February 20, 2011

$7.68 Leeks? WHAT! Soy-Braised Pork Tenderloin with Mushrooms & Leeks

One of my favorite places to shop is Fry's Signature Marketplace located @ Tatum and Shea in Scottsdale, Arizona.  It is an amazing store with Valet parking, organic foods, international foods, sushi bar, wine bar, juice bar, several restaurants, a sports lounge heck you can even get your car detailed while you shop.  It is beautiful.  The produce section is amazing and rivals AJ's or Whole Foods with stuff I have never seen in a store before. Dragon fruit, Star Fruit, and a vast selection of mushrooms and much more!  On one of my weekly shopping trips I was in the produce section shopping for leeks for this recipe.  I saw them and they were listed @ $3.95.  I thought that that was per bunch.  I was dreadfully wrong and  that price was per pound.  I did not notice this until I got home and saw the total price for my leeks was $7.68.  I would have made much different choices had I read the sign properly but well I had the suckers so here is what I came up with! :)


Soy-Braised Pork Tenderloin with Mushrooms & Leeks
adapted from the February 2011 issue of Clean Eating page 69
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce 
4 leeks
3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
16 oz mushrooms cleaned and quartered 
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound pork tenderloin trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1 inch thick medallions
Clean leeks and discard tops cut into rounds
heat 1 tsp evoo in a large skillet on medium for 1 min. carfully place the leeks cut sides down of the pan. cook undisturbed for 4 min.  then flip over. add mushrooms and soy sauce. cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 min.  stir in garlic and ginger and continue to simmer for 5 more min. remove from heat and set aside.
in another large skillet heat remaining 2tsp of oil and arrange pork in pan.  cook undisturbed for 1 min.  gently move medalions around with tongs so it does not stick.  then flip each medallion over and repeat.  
add pork to mushroom mixture. deglaze skillet used to cook pork by using 1 tbsp of water and the back of a spoon scraping up all pork and juices.  add to mushroom/pork mixture.
cook an additional 2 minutes over medium heat.
plate and serve with a nice salad of your choosing
serves 4

Get your yum on!

1 comment:

  1. Although expensive...this dish looks delicious. I've made that mistake quite a few times, and it can be so frustrating when you realize once you've already unloaded your groceries at home! At least you were able to make such a tasty meal out of it! Thank you for sharing tonight! I hope you have a great Monday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete