Welcome! This Cook is Cooking!

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.

In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

~ Julia Child


Saturday, October 9, 2010

Took a break and a Healthy Aisan Inspired Meal

Okay so yes, it has been a while.  Guess I just needed a break.  I guess this little blog needs a little CPR to get going so here we go!

I was hungry!  Many of my blog posts start out this way because, well, lets face it a few times out of the day we are!  I have made a deal with myself not to do fast food because it's just bad!  Bad for my health, waistline and for my Crohn's   I love Panda Express. It however does not love me at all.  It can make my night filled with trips to the bathroom and yet I still eat it.  Why you ask? Because I never thought that I could create a meal that tasted like what I could get there.  Well thanks to SparkPeople I have and it's awesome!!!!

Low Fat Sweet and Sour Chicken with Brown Rice

2 cups instant whole-grain brown rice
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp lite soy sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp apricot preserves
1 lb. chicken breast cut in bite-size pieces
1 clove minced garlic
2 tsp finely grated or minced ginger
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup red pepper, chunked
1 cup green pepper, chunked
1 cup snow peas
1-5 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained

Prepare rice according to package's instructions.
Wisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes.
Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining oil, garlic, and ginger to pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20-30 seconds.
Add broth and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4-6 minutes.
Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken.
Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan.
Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.
Serve with the rice.
Each serving consists of 1-1/2 cup stir-fry with 1/2 cup rice.


Number of Servings: 4


So I guess I did not take any pictures of this... I thought I did... Oh well, anyway if you make this you will love it!  It tastes just like a restaurant and it is way better for you.

Play around with the veggies.  I did.  I added bean sprouts.  I think pineapple would add something as well! 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you back...I understand the need to take a break though. I'm thinking about taking a little blog break myself! This is a wonderful recipe to welcome us back with! I love asian flavors and foods. There are so many ways to get healthy proteins and vegetables into one delicious dish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete