Welcome! This Cook is Cooking!

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.

In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

~ Julia Child


Tuesday, June 29, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things, part 2: Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Chocolate & Peanut Butter Glaze

KZAP75GRP2TX
If you invite me do dinner at your house or for any other reason and you think I will be empty handed, well, let's just say that you didn't know my Grandma Bert from Tennessee.  She raised me to never come to someone's house without something to add to the table and to always offer to help.  If they tell you no, help anyway!  That's the Southern way.  This is very helpful to me because I love to bake and giving it away is best for my wardrobe.

I was invited to a Poker/Swim party at my friend's house and the baker in my brain started jumping up and down.  Ohhh a cake, but not just any cake, a chocolate cake. Not just any chocolate cake, a chocolate chiffon cake with a chocolate & peanut butter glaze.  Sounds Perfect!

Why Chiffon Cake you ask?  With all the egg whites and the potential for failure it sounded like a challenge.  Don't open the oven for the first 45 minutes of baking, cool upside down.  How could I say no to this Harry Baker 1927 legend and made possible by the invention of refined vegetable oil in 1870?

Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Adapted From The King Arthur Flour Bakers Companion

Preheat oven to 325

7 eggs separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (Don't skimp on your flour. Spend the extra money and get a good one like King Arthur, you will be happy with the outcome of all your baked goods)
1/2 cup natural cocoa powder (I used dutch process)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
separate your eggs 
In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. Set these babies aside for a bit while you
Whisk together the remaining 1 cup sugar with the flour, baking powder, salt, sift in the coca powder and whisk it in as well
In a separate bowl or large measuring cup beat the oil, milk, egg yolks and vanilla until pale yellow.
Add the dry ingredients and beat until well blended, about 2 min. with a stand mixer and longer for a hand mixer. (I used a hand mixer since my stand mixer had the egg whites in it. I gotta get another bowl for my stand mixer)
Gently fold the whipped egg whites using a whisk. Don't forget to scrape the bottom of the bowl so the whites are mixed in well.

Pour into a 10 inch spring form tube pan that is UNGREASED
This is very important because of the way you cool the cake!
Bake for about 50 minutes Do not open the oven for the first 45 minutes!
The cake will rise above the pan and fall back even with the pan.
Remember DO NOT OPEN THE FRICKIN OVEN!
Your cake is done when a finger gently pressed in the center doesn't leave a print.  You will also hear  a crackling sound .
Cool upside down for at least 30 minutes. Yes, folks I said upside down.  Use a metal funnel inserted into the hole or, you can be like me and use a distilled white vinegar bottle. Now I am sure you understand why you cannot, no matter how bad you want to, grease the pan.  If you choose to don't say I didn't warn you when you cake comes falling out onto the counter.
You may choose to use a tube pan that is not spring form. I am glad that I did because it made removing the cake from the pan a snap!
and now for the icing on the cake

Chocolate Glaze
3 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 table spoons milk or heavy cream

mix until smooth

Peanut Butter glaze
4 tablespoons milk
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter

mix until smooth

Pour the chocolate glaze evenly over the cake. With a wooden spoon drizzle the peanut butter glaze over the chocolate glaze

slice and enjoy

You may need to adjust the liquid and the sugar in both glazes until a nice consistency is reached





Chiffon Cake on Foodista

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE chiffon cakes! Thanks for sharing a great looking dessert...I'm saving this one to try next time I'm hankering for a chocolate cake (which really won't be too long from now). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a chiffon cake, and I'm glad you posted such detailed pictures and directions (because I have always been a bit intimidated). Your final result looks so lovely, and I will put this on my list of recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to thank you for becoming a follower of my blog! For some reason I always feel like I have won a prize when I get another follower!

    PS
    I am jealous of your bread making skills! My rolls turn out like ROCKS! I will get there someday!

    Heather McMullin
    www.madefamousby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that upside down photo of your cake. That sure make it easy to remove from the pan.If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete