Welcome! This Cook is Cooking!

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.

In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

~ Julia Child


Saturday, February 20, 2010

Yum, Homemade Power Bars

Hello readers, I do have some I hope. I have been a slacker blogger. I have been so busy with being sick and school that I have all but forgotten my little blog. Can I just tell you NEVER take a math class and a Nutrition class in the same semester. They both are kicking my @$$! So, right now I am officially taking a break from my nutrition exam studies to blog about something that is nutritious. That counts? Right?


I have been trying to come up with my own version of a granola/power bar thing since I started hiking. The possibility looked like it would be very labor intensive. When I found this recipe I was pleasantly surprised. I did make several substitutions though.

Today started with me going to school with plans of going to Sprouts. Rain had other plans for me and I had on a cute new pair of shoes from Target so I went home, took a nap and decided it was time to brave the elements and head out to the store. I love it there. I feel at home surrounded by all the fruit and veggies!
The recipe called for currants, golden raisins and dried apricots. I could not find currants, hate raisins but love apricots. I substituted cranberries for the currants and added more of both apricots
and cranberries for the golden raisins. I think that pretty much any dried fruit would do. Oh and before I forget... I thought that I had sunflower seeds. I did not. So I used pumpkin seeds. Seemed to work fine. The only thing that was a little strange is when you roast them they pop. (this was news to this novice baker) The smell coming fr
om the oven was heaven. Toasted nuts and oatmeal. Yum! It reminded me of popcorn. After 5 minutes I shook the pan of roasting dry goods set the timer for another 5 and began the
melting of the almond butter, raw sugar and honey. When the timer went off for the oat mixture the
almond butter honey mixture was ready to
be poured on top. This is the point where it really reminded me of rice crispy treats. I guess because it was very hands
on! After being sure that all the dry good were no longer dry I moved on to putting the mixture into my prepared pan.

It was very difficult to cut! But well worth it! Try some for yourself.


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, preferably golden
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal (see Note)
  • 1/3 cup currants
  • 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1/3 cup chopped golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup creamy almond butter (see Note)
  • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (see Note)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
  2. Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, currants, apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
  3. Combine almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
  4. Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 bars.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so simple, omit the almonds and I'm ready to try this

    ReplyDelete