Welcome! This Cook is Cooking!

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.

In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

~ Julia Child


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Black Bean & Edamame Salad

Food is my friend and enemy at the same time.  I love food with bold flavors.  My biggest downfall is baked goods and sweets.  I love to bake and I love to eat it.  Oh and let's not forget the processed foods that most of us eat out of laziness or convenience. Face it fast food in all forms is bad for us and easiest to prepare or just simply pick up at the drive-thru, not to mention how cheap it is.  Eating healthy is expensive!
This little meal is not only tasty and healthy but it won't break the bank to prepare!  It's packed with protein and flavor!
Black Bean & Edamame Salad
Adapted from Clean Eating March 2012 

1 15oz can black beans
1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
1 cup fresh or frozen shelled edamame thawed
1/2 cup red onion
2oz fresh mozzarella cut into 1/4 inch cubes (note fresh mozzarella is sold in the deli section in tubs)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried

I am not a big fan of cilantro so I picked up some dried at Penzeys. I was very excited to find this because a bunch of cilantro always goes bad.  I use much less then what the recipe calls for because I just don't like it!!

Dressing
1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
*1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder (I got mine at Penzeys Spices, I have one down the street)

In a medium bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, edamame, cilantro, mozzarella, and onion.
In a small bowl whisk together the dressing. Drizzle over the bean mixture and toss. Serve immediately.
  This salad is light and tastes amazing.  You could easily use the dressing for other salads as well!

Get your yum on!


Just a note
* The recipe called for an Anaheim chili pepper to be added to the salad I did not have one so I used the Ancho Chili Powder in the dressing it was wonderful. If you want to add the chili pepper feel free. Just cut, seed and dice!  If you don't want something so hot try a green, red or yellow bell pepper.  You may want to throw in a bell pepper anyway.  Sounds good to me!

1 comment: